Friday, September 21, 2012

A New Chapter

A new chapter has commenced for our family. I am now a mom to "school-age" children. We're out of the "Infant," "Toddler," and "Preschool" categories. It has not been an easy transition. In fact, we are still working out the kinks in our new schedule. In a few more weeks, we will hopefully be a smooth-operating household again. Right now, we are operating. Not smoothly. Sometimes a bit grumpily (mostly me). But we're getting by.

The changes have been numerous and somewhat heart-wrenching (for me again...). I have returned to work part time for my high school, where I teach history. I enjoy my coworkers, I am amused and (usually) inspired by high schoolers, and I love history. But my heart and head have been so fully wrapped around my children and family the past year that it has been hard to give a piece of myself back to work. And there's a sense of guilt that I am not there for the kids' every moment. I miss them.

The children are now at school. They are enjoying kindergarten and have a lot of fun in the after-kindergarten school program, Kinderzone, as well. They've made new friends and come home with new stories each day. I am in the process of trying to understand all the new protocols and expectations that go along with parenting school-age children. There are a lot of forms. And requests for donations. And Special Day photos, Meet Me! photos, My Family! photos, etc. It's...wonderful. And a bit awful.

Beyond school and work, the kids are enrolled in a soccer program this fall that has one practice and one game each week. I am a bit appalled at the level of competitiveness that seems inherent (in the adults), already at the age five level. But the kids are having fun, and that's all that matters at this point. As for the other sign of impending "big-kidness," William has three of his 6-year-molars in already! And Joshua has two very, very loose teeth. Am I wiggling them, you ask? No. Never. I cried when his baby teeth came in (lost my gummy baby), and I'll cry when he loses them.

I will be blogging very infrequently. The kids have their own voices now, and I post pictures occasionally on Facebook. I have private forums at home where I journal daily about the kids. But I will keep this blog open in order to post large sets of pictures accompanied by descriptions. Perhaps I'll be back after Halloween or certainly Christmas. And we may have a big Star Wars party to blog about in April.

Below are First Day of School photos. Sniff sniff.

Tradition #1: Posing by chalkboard to show relative height on first and last day of school.



 Tradition #2: Special Day Plate with homemade goodie from mommy in shape of letter/number for the "year." Rice Krispie letter K = Kindergarten.

Posing with some of the kids on the block. 5th grade, 4th grade (2), 3rd grade (2), 2nd grade (1), 1st grade (1), kindergarten (4). Not pictured, on this same block (!) a senior, sophomore, 7th grader, 6th grader, 4th grader, 2nd graders (2), 1st grader, and one more kindergartner. I think that's mostly right.





No comments:

Post a Comment