Well, they did it. They actually did it. They'd been talking about it for a while, but I didn't really think it would happen. But I was starting to get worried. When they first proposed the idea to me, I thought it sounded like a generous gesture. I'm a nice guy, so I agreed. But they told me I still had a bit more time. But then, they started talking more and more about the idea the past few weeks. And the trip I had last week to the dentist seemed to seal my fate: my pacifier was going away. We were going to give it to the new baby across the street, baby Joel. In exchange, I'd get a present.
When I originally agreed to the deal, I thought I'd only be giving one of my pacifiers away. I knew that I had two total, so that'd still leave one for me. But then, on Wednesday, after a morning play date with our friends across the street, including baby Joel, my mom gave me my TWO pacifiers and told me to give them to baby Joel. In exchange, I got some fun new toys, which satisfied me, at the time...
An hour later, and it was naptime. I hurried upstairs to check if what I thought had just happened was true. I went to my night crib--no pacifier. "Oh no," I told mommy. I rushed into my nap room and looked in the playpen--no pacifier. "Oh no," I told mommy again. "Where is my pacifier?" She answered (without nearly enough sadness, in my opinion), "Remember, we gave your pacifiers to baby Joel today!" I replied, "Two pacifiers?" (Didn't she remember our deal...ONE pacifier for my new toys????) She answered, "We gave baby Joel all your pacifiers."
What kind of deal-making family do I live in? How could this have happened? I'm all for sharing--when I have extras at home. I fear for Ellie now--she sucks her fingers. Will they give her hand away to the neighbors as well? Will my parents stop at nothing?
I've shed many tears over my loss. I get teary eyed and, for some reason, my lips quiver when I remember my beloved pacifier. I can't help but cry out in my sleep whenever I think about my pacifier. I miss it. At least I think my mommy finally felt a little bad for what she has done. I saw tears in her eyes the first day as well, and I could have sworn she said, "I didn't want to say goodbye to my baby yet either." But it was hard to hear over my sad moaning.
Goodbye pacifier. I miss you already. And to the rest of you two-year-olds out there: Do NOT agree when your parents ask you to make a trade with the babies nearby. Babies do NOT know how to count yet!
Below--my photo memories of pacifier: with William last winter; with Grandma Jorgenson on a plane to TX when I was 6 mths old; at 3 months old in my swing.
No comments:
Post a Comment