This is the year of "3" for our family. Both James and I turned 33 in October of 2009 and the 3 kids turned 3 in April. How often does it happen that every person in a family is the same "number" altogether (and that the number of kids is also the number of everyone's ages?)?
So, to commemorate this momentous year (really, 6 months where we're all 3), I decided to run 3 races. It would be a way to celebrate life--and all the amazing things our healthy bodies can do. I'm so happy to be able to run and jump and move again after being in a bed so long to keep the trio safe (would've stayed in bed far longer, if it would have helped the kids, though!). And I'm so happy and relieved that the 3 little ones are all able to run and jump and play as well, even though they seemed so tiny when they were born.
As I was planning the 3 races I'd run, they turned into metaphors--each became a race for a different part of my life.
The first race was the Race for the Cure 5K in Bloomington, MN, on Mother's Day. I ran the race with a girlfriend, and it was the race I dedicated to my little ones. It's such an important cause--finding a cure for breast cancer (and for all cancers, hopefully!), so that all kids can have moms around for them. James and I are so grateful for our wonderful mothers.
The second race was my biggest challenge: a half-marathon (13.1 miles) in Minneapolis on July 4. I trained for 5 weeks for it with a girlfriend. We ran three times a week (along with cross-training days): two days of 5 miles and one long run each week (7 miles to start adding a mile each week up to 11). The race was tough--tougher than I expected as training had gone quite well. But it poured rain miles 2-5 and then drizzled until mile 12. I was soaking wet and my cotton half-pants were heavy with rain. And I was pushing myself to try to maintain a decent pace--a part of me wanted to finish in under 2 hours (meaning just over a 9-minute mile). Both the friends I ran with fell off their normal pace early--but I felt pretty good, up until mile 10. At mile 10 I was tired. At mile 11 I was even more tired. At mile 12 I really wanted to rest. It was a long mile. So my pace slowed considerably the last three miles. But I made it to the finish line having run the entire race. I clocked in at 2 hours 3 minutes--close to my goal, though not quite. My friends came in at 2:06 and 2:11--both having finished these types of races 10 minutes faster in the past. They felt like the humid conditions made it a tough race. In any case, this race became my metaphor for marriage--it's a long journey, unexpected events pop up (or rain down) along the way, and at times one might even want to quit. But it's an exhilerating journey that also highlights how strong a person can become in a marriage and how inspiring watching a good "race" can be. It's a journey that requires dedication and constant "training" in order to stay in "top form," but it's so rewarding to stick with it. I love my dear husband and am enjoying our journey--rain and shine!
Race #3 was a 4-mile local run at a community event in Lakeville, MN. This race became a race to celebrate "me." I enrolled in this one by myself and ran it solo. Half the race was on lakeshore, so I enjoyed the view and tried to run at a quick pace, but also one that didn't complete destroy my lungs or stamina. It was a race to celebrate the fact that I love to be able to move and breathe and run freely. I am so grateful for my health. I finished this race in 34 min, 20 sec (about an 8:20 mile ave). I had hoped for a little faster, but I'll have to buy a watch and start time-training, if pace ever really becomes important to me. I did finish in 9th place out of the 64 "30 to 39 yr old" females who ran the race. (But I did not fair as well against the 10-19 yr olds!)
This was a fun experience. I started May off having never run a race before, and now I'm itching to enter one again. I enjoyed being competitive again. I could definitely see more running events in the future--but not 'til after October 2010. Because this was the year of 3 races. And no more.
Another day at the TH
10 years ago
No comments:
Post a Comment